Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Family Vacation-All I Ever Wanted

Family vacations were always cause for excitement. 5 kids, 2 parents and a dog piling into a minivan or, if we were super lucky, getting on a plane. It didn't necessarily matter what the destination was or who we were going to see, but the fact that we were changing scenery and adding a little excitement to our otherwise boring suburban lives was thrilling enough.

Disney, ski trips to Maine and Vermont, Arizona, Washington D.C., the Bahamas, Italy, Ireland twice and countless trips to our house in Claryville. These are the places we've traveled and explored together. Although I may not have realized it when I was younger, I think these family vacations have helped to make us as close as we are by creating priceless memories and shared experiences.


 Disney, 1996. Check out those grins.


Arizona, 1998, visiting the grandparents.


The "younger years" family vacations were a blast for us; they meant all-you-can-drink soda (which always made Pat throw up), no bedtime, relatives galore and best of all, missing school. We'd play the license plate game, jump on hotel beds (or cots) and devour the crappy continental breakfast as if it were decadent cuisine. While these vacations meant tons of carefree fun, I've definitely appreciated the vacations we've had in more recent years for different reasons. 

These trips were when I was 16 and we traveled to Ireland, when I was 18 and we traveled to Italy, and most recently, when everyone came to Dublin to visit me while I was studying abroad.

Ballyhaunis, Ireland 2008, in front of the house my grandfather lived in

Rome, Italy 2011 (only missing Dan, he was in flight school)

Wexford, Ireland 2013

These three family vacations all have something in common: rain. Just kidding, they were all so fun and so meaningful and so memorable, but it does happen to be raining in all three of the photos above. We make the best out of rainy days though, you just can't slow down the Quinns. I think I appreciate these trips a little more because we're all older and busier so any time that we do get to spend all together is that much more meaningful.

During our first trip to Ireland, we were able to see where my grandfather was born and lived before coming to America. The best part of this trip was that he was there to explain everything to us-from the shed he was born in to the house he eventually moved into. There were still dishes and teapots in the house, as if one day they just picked up and left. Experiencing where my family comes from with my entire family is something I'll never forget.


Now, family vacations are more about the stories we'll share with our kids someday, the time spent together and the memories created than unlimited sodas and missing school. They're about getting together, experiencing new cultures and taking time away from our busy lives to connect with each other. Some people may dread their family vacations, but for us they're an excuse to leave reality behind and have a blast together. And I guess it doesn't hurt that my family happens to be a really fun set of goofballs.

Do you have any family vacation stories? Comment or share!


As always, "Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."-AB






No comments:

Post a Comment