Monday, November 11, 2013

Thoughts on Veterans Day

This Veterans Day is a little different, a little special, a little more difficult than others have been. Throughout the duration of the war on terrorism in both Iraq and Afghanistan, I've had family members down in the trenches. My cousin Adam, my uncle Tom, my cousin John. But there's something so different about having a brother fighting in a war. Something so worrisome. Something so real.

I remember the days leading up to Dan's deployment. We went down to Otis Air Field on the Cape and had a departure ceremony for all the deploying soldiers. I was doing alright until I saw tiny little kids with signs that said, "I'll Miss You Daddy," and pregnant women who would give birth to their children without their husbands by their side. All of a sudden, the sacrifice that these men, women and families make became abundantly clear and emotions overwhelmed me. For me, for you, for celebrities in their Beverly Hills mansions to go about our daily routines, others have to risk their lives.

So today, and every day, we should be thankful for the veterans who risk their lives for us. If you feel compelled, here are a few easy ways to get involved.

  1. Download the Charity Miles application and log miles for the Wounded Warrior Project-it's entirely free to you
  2. Donate to Soldier Socks, a nonprofit organization that sends essential items to soldiers on the battlefield and provides support, employment help and other services after soldiers return home
  3. Thank a member of the armed services, even when it's not Veterans Day
  4. Get involved with any other nonprofit that helps armed service members, including Soldiers' Angels and Pets for Vets
The men and women who risk their lives daily so the rest of us can live comfortably and freely deserve more than just a day, they deserve our constant praise, thanks and respect. 

And Dan, I'll be counting down the days until you're back on US soil, safe and healthy. 



As always, "Other things may change us, but we start and end with family"-AB

No comments:

Post a Comment