Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Family We Choose

This blog about my family wouldn't be complete without mentioning those who are just as close as family, my friends.  These are the people we don't have to love, we don't have to get along with, we don't have to build relationships with, but we choose to. We accept them for their flaws and support them in their endeavors, not because we have to but because we want to. Of all the friends that have been like family to me, there are a few in particular that I just couldn't live without. These four are my best friends, my sisters and the women I depend on when I'm away from family.

Madeline, Sam, Natalia, Me, Darya


First, we've got Madeline. Mad and I have been roommates since freshman year of college and have grown together and been through more experiences (good and bad) together than with anyone else. People often mix up our names; I've become used to answering to Madeline and she to Meaghan. But more importantly, we're there for each other, regardless of the bullshit in life, and I know we always will be. We've joked about living in the same neighborhood and raising our kids together, but at the end of the day I think there's a little truth to our jokes because we can't imagine not being close together. She'll be at my wedding, likely standing next to me as my maid of honor, and known as Auntie Madeline to my children. She's more a part of me than most people and I really couldn't live without her.

Next, there's Darya and we've lived together for almost 2 years. She's one of the least judgmental and most supportive people I have ever met, which are two truly unique characteristics of friends these days. I can talk to her forever about things plaguing me, knowing she'll give great advice or be a shoulder to lean on. She always tells me I'm not a very affectionate person, which is true, but I gave her a hug today so that speaks volumes about our friendship.

Sam is one-of-a-kind. We met after joining the same sorority freshman year and instantly clicked. Sam and I agree on almost every aspect of life-our beliefs, our upbringing, our political views, our social views, etc. We can also bitch at each other like sisters, but it never impacts our friendship. After knowing Sam for a few years, she's definitely a guarded person that doesn't open up to everyone, but she's opened up to me. We've got a pretty unique friendship and really just accept each other for who we are.

Last, but certainly not least, there is Natalia. We actually met through Sam and have been close ever since. She's the type of person you always want around and has the most infectious personality and positive outlook on life. She's the friend that you can grab a beer and laugh about life with or snuggle in bed and complain about anything with. We come from similar families with similar backgrounds and just fit together. I couldn't imagine my college experience without her.

As I near the end of college, I don't know what I'll do next year if we all don't stay in Boston. I'm not quite ready to give up the nights we spend together watching movies at my apartment or acting like fools in T's Pub. I know that even in the future, no matter where we're living or working, we'll remain as close as we are now and appreciate the time we spend together even more.

I recognize that not everyone is super close with their immediate family, but friends are just as important and can be as close as family. I can't tell you how many times I've leaned on these girls or shared things with them I didn't share with my family. No matter who you consider family, hold them close, don't take them for granted, remind them you love them. If you're feeling super sentimental, maybe even give them a hug (I keep those for very special occasions.)


As always, "Other things may change us, but we start and end with family"-AB

No comments:

Post a Comment